Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Flyting

What does the movie "Hook" have in common with the books Lysistrata and The House on Mango Street? Examples of flyting, the exchange of insults, can be found within each. Such arguments are often extremely comical, although the parties involved generally do not intend them to be this way. I remember partaking in such arguments as a child, most often with my sister, and I most definitely took them seriously.

If I remember correctly, one of the students pointed out that an example of flyting could be seen in the movie "The Sandlot." I will admit that I have never seen this movie, yes I was deprived as a child, but the first movie that came to my mind was "Hook." There is a scene in which Peter, Pan as an adult, exchanges numerous colorful insults with Rufio. The argument can be seen on You Tube (both links below), and ends with Peter saying, "Rufio, if I'm a maggot burger why don't you just EAT ME? You two-toned zebra-headed paramecium-brain, munchin' on your own mucus, suffering from Peter Pan envy!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMqJr_zRVUM (This example isn't a very good recording, but you can hear everything that is said. In the link below portions of what is said is beeped out.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro_fAj571j8


There is an example of flyting, one that could have been similar to what was said between my sister and I back in the day, in The House On Mango Street. The conflict is between three young girls, go figure. They go from talking about clouds to insulting one another and their mothers. The portion of the argument that I have included below is between two of the three girls.

Rachel: You know what you are Esperanza? You are like the Cream of Wheat cereal. You're like the lumps.
Esperanza: Yeah, and you're foot fleas, that's you.
Rachel: Chicken Lips.
Esperanza: Cockroach Jelly.
Rachel: Cold frijoles.
Esperanza: Your mama's frijoles.
Rachel: Your mama's ugly toes.
Esperanza: That's stupid.
Rachel: Who's stupid?

One can just imagine how the rest of this argument would play out. Sandra Cisneros, the author, ends the chapter here leaving the rest to the reader's imagination. We have all been there at one point or another, so this task is most likely not a hard one.

These are just two of innumerable examples of flyting incorporated into media and literature. I hope everyone enjoyed them and that they helped those who were unclear about what flyting was to gain a better understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment